Meet Matthew Shortt, PA-C
Matthew Shortt is a physician assistant serving Blacksburg, VA, and surrounding communities in the New River Valley at Sideline Orthopedics and Sports Medicine. His special orthopedic interests include fracture care, joint injections, joint replacement, sports medicine and injury prevention.
Mr. Shortt developed a true passion for the intricacies of the human body when he sustained a back injury in college and became an orthopedic patient. He knew then that he wanted to increase his knowledge of and pursue a career in the orthopedic healthcare environment. He truly understands the patient perspective and has compassion for orthopedic patients’ pain and vulnerability. Mr. Shortt thrives on building a relationship of trust and partnering with patients during their journey through orthopedic treatment and eventual return to a pain-free state.
Mr. Shortt has been providing orthopedic care in the New River Valley for ten years and he feels honored to care for the patients in the community. He strives to treat all of his patients as if they are family by establishing a mutual trust and respect. He likes when patients share their goals with him so they can work as a team to reach them. Mr. Shortt also stays current on all orthopedic technology advancements so he can serve his patients with the best treatment options available.
Outside of the office, Mr. Shortt enjoys spending time with his family and traveling as a family. Together, they take on new adventures exploring the New River Valley. Mr. Shortt enjoys being outside, playing golf, running, skiing and participating in obstacle course racing.
“My favorite part of my job is the relationships that I am able to develop with my patients. It is an honor that patients allow me to guide them through the healing process. Being able to assist a patient in pain and help them to recover and return to normal activities is the greatest reward.”
Academic Affiliations and Honors
- President’s List: Jefferson College of Health Sciences Fall 2003 – Spring 2005
- Dean’s List: Jefferson College of Health Sciences Physician Assistant Program Fall 2005 – Fall 2007
- The Collegiate National Scholars Honor Society Member Since 2006
- Jefferson College of Health Sciences Physician Assistant Program: Clinical Preceptor of Physician Assistant students
- Virginia Polytechnical Institute and State University: Student Preceptor for Independent Field Study
- Lecturer for Pre-Health Fraternity Virginia Polytechnical Institute and State University
- 1st Place in Physician Assistant (PA) Category – 11th Annual Best Bedside Manner Awards, OurHealth Magazine Roanoke & New River Valleys, 2017